The Process: Boundary – Overdose of Sin
Animated music video
the first “feature” animation and the first music video i’ve ever created.
all starts with the song and the lyrics, paying attention to the theme, tempo and interesting audio moments.
We’re riding to the west
Got trouble on my back
My head is on a test
I can hear it crack
Devil rides beside me
We sing the poor-mans blues
He said I’ll make you rich son
Cause you’ve got nothin to loose
Sliding through the doorway
Spinnin’ all around
I like these kinds of trips
That make me tunned to the ground
We’re riding for the overdose of sin
It is a simple overdose of sin
Everything from outside slides within
When you look it closely it’s a fuckin knot
If you get to taste it you’ll know it’s not
So we took our package
The load is in
Devils and me need more
We’re hungry for more sin
We’re riding for the overdose of sin.
then comes the band itself.
the looks, the personality and the vibe.
looking for the cool stuff i could use.
input from the band: wild and crazy and sick! ram from hell! whores, blood and fights! viking in pink! devils hounds, space shrooms, 3 titted whores and all the beauty of the west!
bring it on!
based on everything, after brainstorming, overconsumption of coffee, listening to the song on the loop for 666 times and blood sacrifice, the story is finally created, paying attention to character’s motivations, the 3-act structure etc.
the “internal” script is developed.
Boundary – Overdose Of Sin – Script
- Fade in – intro
- A girl walking to the city / village
- Introduction to the city/village
- Zoom to the distance
- Villagers are looking into the distance
- Something evil is coming
- Quick close up of the gang
- Booze, cigs, etc. bad attitude
- Master shot of the gang (the gang is flying with/on/part of the ram from hell) coming to the city to destroy or transform a “nice” place to an “evil” place
- More details of the gang
- The gang approaches the city – villagers are running scared
- Gang comes down Jumping off – gang member no 1 transforming villagers
- Chorus – main hellram in the sky – psychedelic stuff – snakes – skulls – eyes – hooker legs
- Bridge – quick shots transformation villagers
- Gang no 2 transforming villagers
- Gang no 3 transforming villagers
- Chorus – same as before, but a bit different, for example, a different colour scheme. hellram in the sky – psychedelic stuff – snakes – skulls – eyes – hooker legs
- The whole village is destroyed
- Solo – Gang notices the young girl in the back (the one from the beginning of the story) – she is hot, she is tasty
- They come closer
- She starts tripping – bleeding eyes and stuff
- Transforms into a mega demon (turns out she is the main villain) and
- The gang is shit scared, starts running
- Quick cuts of demon destroying the gang
- Quick cuts everything is shaking and burning
- Everyone is destroyed and the gang is destroyed
- The demon woman is standing while everything is on fire
- Quick flash of the demon face (that looks an eviler version of hellram) before a complete
- fade out
based on the script the storyboards are developed and presented to the band for approval.
by the way, have you noticed that I’ve put a reference to Fight Club (1999)?
the band gives a green light.
the production begins.
gathering of the assets: photos and references.
proofs of concept are created.
drawings are made.
collages are collaged.
“viking in pink” immediately gave me the idea of Power Rangers
and The Monster Squad
therefore all 5 band members should have different colours and looks.
the characters are drawn and then rigged in DUIK
the faces are photos in order to show the real band members and to play on the idea that “power/monster squad” are using the faces as masks.
the locomotion animation reference
i love to add female hands and/or eyes in one way or another to all my projects, if it’s appropriate.
especially hands with long fingers and nails.
i guess that’s my “tarantino’s feet”.
the main characters are hand-drawn, but the “villagers” just like the “babylon” are a mix of everything and therefore photo collages.
many smalls things were also hand-drawn.
everything is gathered and animated in after effects.
in the very end after all the rendering we have the final music video
check out other projects at “The Process“