Animator, here’s something that will help you on your quest!
Ralph Bakshi is the mega beast. Shots from Wizards (1977), The Lord of the Rings (1978), Fire and Ice (1983) and, of course, Cool World (1992) got burnt in my memory and eyeballs when I saw them as a kid. You can see the influence in my animated music videos.
Several things to learn from Bakshi as an animator:
– cartoons are also for adults, of course
– rotoscoping looks cool when done right
– the technique of combining live-action, animation with the sounds of the streets
– how to portray violence, sex and humour
– as an artist, do what you believe in
– break the back of animation
– break the rules